Dad Blogs

About Us

My photo
San Francisco, Ca, United States
I'm on the left, Andrew is in the middle and my partner Ed is on the right. My partner and I met in October 1993 and have been together ever since. Our son Andrew graced us with his presence on Christmas Eve 2007.

Yes We Are, No We're Not, Ohhh.. YES WE ARE!

Another installment of Fatherhood Fridays. I can't believe this week has come and gone so quickly. I suggest you take a little Internet trip to www.dad-blogs.com and check out what it's all about. It's a truly fun experience with fun and knowledgeable Dads and Moms.
Fatherhood Friday at Dad Blogs
The birth mom never had her abortion. She is 3 months pregnant with our son Andrew's potential brother or sister. I took her to a prenatal appointment today. It was tough! She has no medical insurance and I can not get her added on mine. So we spent most the day getting her set up with emergency insurance through welfare services and then we went to a doctor. Since this was her first real visit, they gave us tons of paperwork to complete, took a lot of blood samples and also a urine sample.

She has an OB appointment set up for June 16th at 9am (gotta take off work again) and then her Ultrasound on July 7th.

She had visited a doctor at another hospital about a week ago regarding her pregnancy and the doctor told her she could hold this baby full term provided she keeps her iron levels up. She has been very good at taking her iron pills.

After the long day of hospitals and welfare offices, we went out for a nice lunch. She is showing just a little at this point.

When I pick her up for her June 16th appointment, I'm going to surprise her and take her shopping for clothes after wards.

I asked her how come she did not suspect she was pregnant when she missed her first period and she told me she is still having her period and that in all her pregnancies (6)she has had her period up until her six month. Can this happen?..I was so surprised by this.

So we are back on the journey of having another baby. I can't believe it. I got to start thinking of names...again...

Happy Friday all

21 comments:

The Devoted Dad said...

Paul,

That is very exciting news for you both. From a fatherly point of view- if my wife bled, I would probably be concerned and need to get it figured out very soon. We went a lot from the Great Expectations book. It was pretty thorough in explaining all of these extra "issues" with pregnancy, however, with bleeding- I prefer to stay on the cautious side of things!
Once again- congrats!-Jason

Pam said...

yes, it is possible to have a slight period while pregnant. if it's excessive or you're concerned, definitely don't be afraid to ask the doctor about it. i want to help you pick out a girls name. that's my feeling on this one. can't wait to see what happens :)

Unknown said...

I knew it was going to happen ever since you posted about this a while back! This is exciting news...what a great person this birthmother must be.

Sabrina's mom had her period up until December, and she was born in April, so she never expected she was pregnant either. Maybe it's more common then we uterus challenged men may think.

Jason said...

I've been wondering how the appointment went ever since I saw you chatting about it in the IM the other day. I'm so excited for you guys!! I can't wait to read about your journey with baby number 2.

2momswithaplan said...

It is very common for women to have their periods during the 1st trimester. Some women will get their regular periods all throughout their pregnancy. There is actually a show about women who didn't know they were pregnant until they went to the hospital in labor.

I'm so happy you guys are going to be daddies again. Andrew is so lucky to have a half sibling! As I've said before, I hope this one is a girl!

-Justin said...

Congrats! Your relationship with Andrew's birth mother is truly awe-inspiring. She is very lucky to have you in her life!

Rob said...

WOW, This is super exciting. Alot of work but so worth it in the end. I am extremely happy for you guys. This is great news!!!!!

WeaselMomma said...

I hope that all works out just fine and that you have a healthy baby soon. Talk to the doctor, but some women can have bleed through (but it's not really a period) during pregnancy.

BellaDaddy said...

WOW! I am so thrilled for your family!

KUDOS!

Laurel said...

God is so awesome!!!

AMR said...

I look forward to updates in the coming months -- your story is a remarkable one. Best to you both!

DCUrbanDad said...

Awesome stuff. Best of luck with number 2.

Doug Skinner said...

So glad I found the Dad Blogs site this morning, I've found so many more great dad blogs, this one included.

Good Luck with everything, I look forward to continued reading...and if you don't mind I am going to add you to my blog roll over at daddystired.blogspot.com

birthmothertalks said...

Wow!! How exciting!! I really hope for a healthy baby. I think Andrew wants a girl.

Apok said...

Hooray! If its a boy, you should name it Apok. Name it Apok either way.

Guinevere said...

Wow, that's such wonderful news! Ccongratulations!!

As for pregnancy period-like phenomena: a lot of women have spotting during pregnancy, and women who have irregular cycles or don't ever have heavy periods to begin with, might not be able to distinguish that from a true period (when the entire uterine lining is shed, which would not be compatible with continuing pregnancy).

Also, a lot of pregnancy symptoms, especially early pregnancy, are period-like for some women (cramping, fatigue, etc).

It's definitely good to err on the side of caution with going to have any bleeding down there checked out by a healthcare provider, but there's often not much that can be done about spotting, and it is really pretty common.

Otter Thomas said...

Congratulations! I am always amazed by your relationship with
Andrew's birth mother. You are a good dude.

SurprisedMom said...

Paul,

Congratulations to you, Ed and Andrew! This is such exciting news! The birth mom IS lucky to have your family in her life. I hope you have a girl this time. It will be so much fun to read your story about your second adoption journey.
As for the bleeding, everyone is different. If you're concerned, please talk to the doctor so he or she can reassure you.
Again, Congratulations!

Melisa Wells said...

This is so exciting! I hope everything goes well!

Out-Numbered said...

You seem like a really good dude. Must be a very nerve wracking experience for you guys to watch it all unfold. So great that it's happening! Good luck.

NYCity Mama said...

How exciting! Congratulations! BTW...I had my period well into my 4th month in last pregnancy : ) If you let Ciara pick the name, I want to vote on it as well! lol!

 

Free Blog Counter